Newer News: September 2016
August 2016 Intelligence News
- Intelligence officials reveal secrets to Donald Trump by Tara McKelvey, BBC News, August 18. "As the Republican nominee for the US presidency, Donald Trump received a classified briefing on Wednesday. What does that mean?"
- Are There Any Limits on Obama's Drone War, Really? by Marcy Wheeler, New Republic, August 9. "A newly released document reveals that the administration's rules for drone warfare are full of workarounds and loopholes."
- FBI probe of Clinton's emails prompted by espionage fears, secret letters say by Jason Leopold, VICE News, August 9. "Two secret letters the FBI sent to the State Department have revealed for the first time that the bureau's investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server, and the classified emails sent through it, stemmed from a so-called 'Section 811' referral from the Intelligence Community's Inspector General (ICIG)."
- Special Procedures for Discretionary Access to Classified Historical Central Intelligence Agency Records Requested by Other Federal Agencies in Furtherance of Historical Research, Final Rule, Federal Register, August 9. "CIA is providing greater clarity about the procedures under which, as a matter of discretion, it may provide access to classified historical CIA
records requested by other Federal agencies in furtherance of historical research when such access is not expressly required by statute."
- Agencies Are Declassifying One-Time Secrets at a Higher Rate, Archives Reports by Charles S. Clark, Government Executive, August 2. "Historians, journalists and public policy analysts likely welcome the latest report on agency disclosures of one-time government secrets issued last week by the National Archives and Records Administration."
- FAS website blocked by US Cyber Command. "You have attempted to access a blocked website. Access to this website has been blocked for operational reasons by the DOD Enterprise-Level Protection System."
Older News: July 2016
Maintained by Steven Aftergood
Updated September 8, 2016