March 2002 Intelligence News
Newer News: April 2002
- Fact Sheet: Foreign Terrorist Organizations, State Department release, March 27.
- State Department Statement on Designation of Three Additional Foreign Terrorist Organizations, press release, March 27.
- Designation of Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade as a Terrorist Organization, State Department Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism, Federal Register, March 27.
- Designation of Foreign Terrorist Organizations, State Department Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism, Federal Register, March 27.
- Secretary Rumsfeld Announces Military Commission Rules, Defense Department press release, March 21.
- DoD News Briefing on Military Commissions, Pentagon press briefing, March 21.
- Designations of Terrorists and Terrorist Organizations Pursuant to Executive Order 13224, Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism, State Department, Federal Register, March 19.
- Additional Designations of Terrorism-Related Blocked Persons, Department of the Treasury, Federal Register, March 19.
- White House Briefing: Excerpts on Nuclear Posture Review, GAO Lawsuit, press briefing, March 14. "I think from the President's point of view, he takes classified documents seriously. Classified documents were meant to remain classified."
- Americans Seeking FBI Special Agent Jobs In Record Numbers, FBI press release, March 13. "Since February 8th of this year, the Bureau had a record 15,000 Special Agent candidates apply."
- Pentagon Briefing Excerpts on Nuclear Posture Review, press briefing with Secretary Rumsfeld and Russian Defense Minister Ivanov, March 13. "Needless to say, whoever leaked it violated federal criminal law."
- Homeland Security Advisory System, White House Office of Homeland Security release, March 12.
- U.S. and Uzbekistan Cooperate on Nonproliferation, DOE press release, March 12.
- Study: Web Exposes Data on CIA Networks, by Dan Verton, Computerworld, March 11. "The CIA may be unhappy about this effort because it reveals more than the agency wants the public to know."
- China Views Human Rights Record of the United States in 2001, Information Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China, March 11.
- US and Saudi Arabia Block Funds of Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation, Treasury Department fact sheet, March 11.
- The New Craft of Intelligence by Robert D. Steele, Time, March 11. "We need a 'new craft of intelligence' that can access and digest the broad historical, cultural, and current events knowledge that is available openly..."
- Attorney General Announces Establishment of National Security Coordination Council, press briefing, March 5. "The principle mission of the Council will be to ensure a more seamless coordination of all functions of the department relating to national security, particularly our efforts to combat terrorism."
- President's Remarks on the "Shadow Government", March 1. "I have an obligation as the President to put measures in place that should somebody be successful in attacking Washington, D.C., there's an ongoing government."
Older News: February 2002
Maintained by Steven Aftergood