News


DATE=  11/18/97

TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT

NUMBER=2-222844

TITLE=U-2/IRAQ (S-ONLY)

BYLINE=NICK SIMEONE

DATELINE=PENTAGON

CONTENT=

VOICED AT:



INTRO:  THE DEFENSE DEPARTMENT SAYS AN AMERICAN U-2 SURVEILLANCE

PLANE FLEW OVER IRAQ (TUESDAY) WITHOUT INCIDENT, DESPITE AN IRAQI

THREAT TO SHOOT DOWN THE FLIGHTS.  MORE FROM CORRESPONDENT NICK

SIMEONE AT THE PENTAGON.



TEXT:  IRAQ SAYS U-2 FLIGHTS ARE BEING USED TO COLLECT MILITARY

INTELLIGENCE IN PREPARATION FOR A POSSIBLE U-S ATTACK.  THE

UNITED STATES, WHOSE PILOTS FLY THE AMERICAN PLANES, MAINTAINS

THE U-2'S ARE ONLY CONDUCTING ROUTINE RECONNAISSANCE MISSIONS FOR

U-N WEAPONS INSPECTION TEAMS.  IT WAS IRAQ'S ORDER TO EXPEL THE

AMERICAN INSPECTORS LAST MONTH THAT TRIGGERED THIS STANDOFF IN

THE GULF.



U-S AIR FORCE CAPTAIN LEO DEVINE SAYS TUESDAY'S U-2 FLIGHT -- THE

FIRST IN MORE THAN A WEEK -- FLEW WITHOUT INCIDENT.



                        // DEVINE ACT //



         THE AIRCRAFT DID RETURN WITHOUT INCIDENT.  AS FAR AS WE

         KNOW, THERE WAS NO THREAT TO IT.



                          // END ACT //



IRAQ HAS TWICE THREATENED TO SHOOT DOWN THE FLIGHTS, A MOVE

DEFENSE SECRETARY WILLIAM COHEN SAYS WOULD TRIGGER AN IMMEDIATE

U-S MILITARY RESPONSE.   (SIGNED)



NEB/NJS/RAE



18-Nov-97 8:06 AM EST (1306 UTC)

NNNN



Source: Voice of America

.