News


DATE=  11/3/97

TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT

NUMBER=2-222099

TITLE=TERROR TRIAL: CLOSING ARGUMENTS (L - ONLY)

BYLINE=MAX RUSTON

DATELINE=NEW YORK

CONTENT=

VOICED AT:



INTRO:  THE TRIAL OF THE MAN ACCUSED OF MASTERMINDING THE 1993

BOMBING OF NEW YORK'S WORLD TRADE CENTER IS REACHING ITS FINAL

STAGE.  THE GOVERNMENT PROSECUTOR BEGAN HIS CLOSING ARGUMENTS

TODAY (MONDAY), AS WE HEAR FROM V-O-A CORRESPONDENT MAX RUSTON IN

NEW YORK.



TEXT:  PROSECUTOR DAVID KELLEY SAYS DEFENDANTS RAMZI YOUSEF AND

EYAD ISMOIL HAD HOPED TO KILL UP TO A QUARTER-MILLION PEOPLE BY

BOMBING NEW YORK'S WORLD TRADE CENTER IN 1993.  HE SUMMARIZED

WEEKS OF TESTIMONY, SAYING EXTENSIVE TELEPHONE RECORDS AND

FINGERPRINTS PROVE THAT THE TWO MEN WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE

BOMBING AND INTENDED TO KILL TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE --

CHARGES BOTH DEFENDANTS DENY.



MR. KELLEY SAID THE PROSECUTION DEMONSTRATED THE TWO MEN HAD THE

MEANS AND INTENT TO CARRY OUT THE CRIME.  HE SAID PROSECUTORS

PROVIDED THE JURY WITH "INDISPUTABLE SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE" TYING

THE DEFENDANTS TO MATERIALS USED IN THE BOMBING.



MR. YOUSEF IS THE ALLEGED MASTERMIND OF THE BOMBING.  MR. ISMOIL

IS CHARGED WITH DRIVING A VEHICLE INTO A PARKING GARAGE

UNDERNEATH NEW YORK'S TALLEST SKYSCRAPERS ON FEBRUARY 26TH, 1993.

MR. ISMOIL CONTENDS HE BELIEVED THE VEHICLE WAS LOADED WITH SOAP

AND SHAMPOO.  PROSECUTOR DAVID KELLEY TOLD THE JURY IN NEW YORK

THAT ASSERTION WAS A PATHETIC LIE.



THE VEHICLE EXPLODED AFTER MR. ISMOIL LEFT THE PARKING GARAGE,

KILLING SIX PEOPLE AND INJURING MORE THAN ONE-THOUSAND.

PROSECUTORS SAY MR. YOUSEF LATER TOLD A U-S SECURITY OFFICER THAT

HE HAD HOPED TO CAUSE ONE OF THE WORLD TRADE CENTER'S TWIN TOWERS

TO COLLAPSE ON TOP OF THE OTHER, KILLING UP TO 250-THOUSAND

PEOPLE.  PROSECUTORS SAID THE BOMBING WAS CARRIED OUT BY THE TWO

MIDDLE EASTERN MEN IN RETALIATION FOR U-S AID TO ISRAEL.



THE PROSECUTION AND DEFENSE CLOSING STATEMENTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE

COMPLETED LATE TUESDAY, AFTER WHICH A JURY WILL CONSIDER THE

EVIDENCE AGAINST THE TWO ALLEGED TERRORISTS.  RAMZI YOUSEF AND

EYAD ISMOIL FACE POSSIBLE MAXIMUM SENTENCES OF LIFE IN PRISON IF

CONVICTED.



THIS IS THE SECOND CASE BROUGHT AGAINST RAMZI YOUSEF IN AS MANY

YEARS.  LAST YEAR, HE WAS CONVICTED OF PLOTTING TO BOMB A DOZEN

U-S AIRLINERS OVER ASIA IN ORDER TO CREATE WHAT PROSECUTORS

DESCRIBED AS "48 HOURS OF TERROR IN THE SKY."  (SIGNED)



NEB/NY/MPR/LSF/RRM



03-Nov-97 2:10 PM EST (1910 UTC)

NNNN



Source: Voice of America

.